Down East Attic on Etsy

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Researching Vintage Items

Providing good information about the items I sell is important to me, and it's fun to find out the history behind specific pieces. I'm always amazed at how long it takes to properly research any one particular item. There is a wealth of information on the internet, but it requires a lot of weeding out of unreliable sources to find people and sites that really know their stuff. I can't wait for the day when I can just look at an object and know who made it, with what materials, during what era, etc. My interests vary so widely that I don't know if that will ever happen, but who knows, maybe someday I'll be the expert. For now, I'm just riding the learning curve and enjoying every minute of it!

For those of you who collect or sell, I'll share a few neat sites I have found:

http://www.antique-marks.com/ for identifying hallmarks on glass and ceramic pieces
http://www.historichouseparts.com/ for identifying antique hardware
http://vintagejewelrylane.com Lots of info on vintage jewelry
http://www.iantique.com -Long time antique dealers and collectors with message boards and Q&A, and friendly and knowledgeable people (requires signing up, free).

If you'd like to share other resources that you have found helpful, please do!


6 comments:

  1. Hi: Thank you for the information. I have used a few of these sites myself. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad someone read it! This is a new blog so I'm still trying to get the word out. :) I'm so grateful for the wealth of online information and PEOPLE who know their stuff. I'd be lost without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by and following my blog!!

    i'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carrie! Nice to meet you :)

    I love the look of your blog, it's so inviting. I need to get reading...

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks so much for that information. I am always looking to find out what something I have found is worth. I have a teacup collection also. I love teacups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are most welcome. I know there must be more sites out there that can help us with identification, so I'll post more as I find them. I was also really pleased with the responses I got to a question I had about a set of glass serving pieces that I posted in the eBay discussion forum. People were very helpful and told me the make and model within about an hour. It ended up being rare EAPG from the 1880's. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete