Down East Attic on Etsy

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

On Teacups, Collecting and Small Spaces

For as long as I can remember I have been an anti-collector. What that means is that I am so afraid of clutter that even when I find things I like I pass them up in lieu of the potential of making my space overcrowded. I think this comes from having lived in a lot of small spaces combined while finding it hard to relax unless my home is fairly neat. Not necessarily clean (don't look at the floors), but organized.

I still feel this way. But I also have learned that moderation is key, and it doesn't have to be all or nothing. Unless I move into an enormous home with 30 curio cabinets, you'll never find my home filled with collections, but rather with specific individual pieces here and there throughout the rooms. Lately I've been pining for more space to house all the treasures I fall in love with.

It's not limited to teacups, I found some turn of the century pieces that I'd love to keep, like an Art Nouveau vanity mirror set, some beautiful antique linens, and some silver pieces, but I just don't have space for it all.

Here are some of the pieces I have acquired recently...


Colclough, England, soft blue with pink, yellow, and blue pansies.


Edelstein Bavaria. I think this flower is a fuschia, but it's a guess. It looks more like a combination of about 3 different flowers.


Nippon with hand painted moriage and orange lotus blossoms.


 Coalport, England, "Indian Tree" pattern.


A Bavarian lusterware set in pretty purples, blues and hints of pink, with black handles. Love the Art Deco look of this set.

 The Van Bergh Teapot and sugar bowl set. How formal and proud do they look? At least until the cat knocks them over.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful tea cups! I recognized the first one as Colclough, as I have one very similar. Very pretty! And I love the rest of your cups too. But the lusterware is GorGeouS! What a fabulous color as well.
    I know what you mean about the reluctance to buy when you don't want to have too much stuff in your home...we have been watching Hoarders on TV and it is really good at making me stop acquiring : )
    I am so glad you joined in Tea Cup Tuesday!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a selection of beautiful tea cups...you have a great eye! I especially like the Edelstein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Terri! I love the lusterware too. I just acquired a lusterware set that belonged to my great grandmother (who I never met), and I am KEEPING it. But Horders is just about the scariest show on TV, I can't even watch it.

    Thanks, Carrie! I like the Edelstein too, but I've had the hardest time identifying that flower. It doesn't really matter, but it made me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi: I am running late this week. Just had to stop by and see your cups. Love the first cup, I have it in pink. All your cups this week are stunning. Thank you so much for sharing them. I need to follow your lead about less is more. Have a great week. Blessings, Martha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by, Martha! I once saw that cup in yellow, but I'd love to see it in pink. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your teacups are adorable !
    Glad to hear that I am not the only anti-collector.
    Not that I would mind buying all the lovely china
    there is but just for lack of space.
    Regards, Ikealady

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! You are not alone!

    Your blog is lovely, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete